Aparan (Persian and Urdu: آپاران ) (Armenian: Ապարան, also known as Abaran; until 1935, Bash Aparan; formerly, Aparanbol, Aparan Verin, Aparanpol, Abaran Verin, P’araznavert, K’asakh, Kasagh, and K’asagh) is a town in Armenia, located in the Aragatsotn province, about 50 kilometers north-north-west of Yerevan. It has a mixed population of Armenians and Kurds, numbering 5,711 as of the 2001 census. The city was called Bash Aparan (Բաշ Ապարան; also Romanized as Bash Abaran, Pash Aparan, and Dash Abaron) until 1935. The inhabitants of Aparan, are known as Aparantsi (Ապարանցի).
Historically, Aparan is located in Nig canton of Ayrarat Province of the Kingdom of Great Armenia. Aparan is located on Armenia's main north-south road which connects the Armenian capital Yerevan with the second largest city, Vanadzor, and to Georgia and its capital Tbilisi.
The city was the site of an important Battle of Bash Abaran against the Turkish army on May 21, 1918 during the Turkish-Armenian War, when the Turkish invasion of the newly independent Democratic Republic of Armenia was turned around. An impressive monument to the battle was erected just north of town. Aparan was listed by the geographer Ptolemy in the 2nd century as Kasagh.
Sites of Interest:
- Monument to the Battle of Bash-Aparan
- Mausoleum of General Dro
- 4th Century Surb Neshan (Սուրբ Նշան) Basilica of Aparan