Gazipur District (Bengali: গাজীপুর জেলা) (Urdu and Punjabi: غازی پور) is a district of Dhaka Division. It has an area of 1741.53 km2.
Gazipur (Town) has 9 wards and 31 mahallas. The area of the town is 49.32 km2. The town's population is 123,531; male 52.52%, female 47.48%; density is 2,505 per km2. Various establishments such as Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (BSMRAU), Bangladesh Rice Research Institute (BRRI), Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI), Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology, and others
Gazipur district was established in 1984. It has 5 upazilas, 46 union parishads, 710 mouzas, 2 municipalities and 1163 villages.
|Bangladesh Open University Campus in Ghazipur|
There are five Upazillas (also known as "Thana") in Gazipur. They are Gazipur Sadar/Joydebpur, Tongi, Sreepur Upazila, Kaliakair Upazila, Kapasia Upazila, Kaligonj.
There are five universities in Gazipur — Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University (formerly the Institute of Postgraduate Studies on Agriculture), Dhaka University of Engineering and Technology, Bangladesh Open University, Bangladesh National University and the Islamic University of Technology.
Mouchak Scout High School, Ghazipur
Educational institutions in the area include:
- V.S.A.J Ansar V.D.P School And College, Shafipur, Kaliakoir, Gazipur
- Mouchak Scout High School, Mouchak, Kaliakoir, Gazipur
- West Chandana Govt. Primary School
- Chandana High School
- Gazipur Cantonment College
- Shafiuddin Sarker Academy and College
- Tongi Pilot School and Girls College
- Tongi govt. college
- Khailkor Badshah Miah Agranaye Biddalaya, Gazipur
- Ta'mirul Millat Kamil Madrasha (Tongi Campus)
- Telihaty High School Empo Angels School
|Bhawal Badre Alam Govt. College in Ghazipur|
- Bhawal Bodore Alam Govt. College
- Sreepur University College
- Abdul Awal College
- Piar Ali college
- Rover poly degree college
- Bhawal mirzapur degree college
- Baw para govt. primary school
- Abder bazar govt. primary school
- Kapasia Degree college
- Bhasa Shahid Abdul Jabbar College and High School (formerly known as Ansar VDP High School)
- Rajendrapur cant. public school & collage,jogirsit high school
- Satkhamair high school,
- Gazipur City College, Chandana Chawrasta
|Rani Bilash Moni Govt Boys High School, Ghazipur|
One of the most historic schools is Rani Bilash Moni Govt Boys High School which is more than 100 years old. Bhasa Shahid Abdul Jabbar College and High School is not only well known for its academic excellence but also for its students' success in sports and cultural competition in national level including splendid handball performance in sports and streak of winning in sections like song, debate, general knowledge, dance, essay writing, acting every year.
Other educational institutes are as follow:
- Kazi Azim Uddin College.
- ARSI Multimedia School
- Vadun high school.
- Matrykole Pre- Cadet school.
- Pubail Adorsho college
- M.M.Neaz-Uddin High School
- Silmoon Abdul Hakim Master High school
- Pubail Muktilateral High school
- Kaligonj Shramik (Degree) College
- Kaligonj Women College
- Kaligonj RRN Pilot High School
- Kaligonj Govt. Girls High School
- Kayer High School, Kaligonj
|Bhawal National Park,Gazipur|
Recently there is a new medical college started in February 2012 named City Medical College and Hospital.
Places of interest:
- Bhawal National Park,Gazipur
- Nandan Park
- Ansar VDP Academy
- Jomidar Bari, Baliadi, Kaliakoir
- Kalinarayana Temple(circa 1900,Built by Maharaja Kalinarayana of Bhawal), Joydebpur
- Vawal Rajbari, one-time home of Prince Ramendra Narayan of the Bhawal case, Joydebpur
- Pubail Resort
- Kudabo Green Park (Processing), Vadun, Nuhash Palli
|Zinda Park in Ghazi Ghazipur|
- Zinda Park
- Kudabo Eidgah (the largest Eidgah of Gazipur), Kudabo, Pubail
- Mollah Bari (Kudabo,Pubail,Gazipur)
- Munshi Bari Banglo .(it is the symbol of beauty)Munshi Bari,Kudabo,Pubail,Gazipur
- Munshi Bari Eidgah (it is very famous eidgah in Gazipur)
- Pushpodam Picnic spot
- Waiddadegi, Telihaty, Sreepur
- Joyna Bazar, Sreepur
- Abder Bazar (Lohai Bazar ), Telihaty
- Rover polly high school & degree college, Gazipur
- Bishaw Estema maydhan. The second largest mass of the Muslim around the world is Estema. Thousands of Muslims from many countries comes here and stay for 3 days just beside the River Turag.
- Tongi Ahsan ullah Master Ural setu
- Rajendrapur cant.
|Ghazipur (Joydebpur) Railway Station|
Subdivisions of Gazipur Gazipur:
District is divided by following Thana's:
- Gazipur Sadar/Joydebpur
- Dhaka-Tongi diversion road has connected Gazipur with Dhaka.
- There are 7 railway stations in the Gazipur district. They are: Rajendrapur, Sripur, Dhirasrom, Joydevpur, Tongi, satkhamair and Pubail.
- Tongi - Kaligonj diversion road.
|Mr. Tajuddin Ahmed|
- Mr. Tajuddin Ahmed - The First Prime Minister of Bangladesh
- Mr. Kazi Mozammel Hoque - Freedom Fighter and The First Member of Parliament of Gazipur. Ex Labour Secretary Bangladesh Awami League Central Working Committee, Ex Working President Jatio Sramik League Central Committee, Ex Founder Presidium Member Bangladesh Awami Jubo League Central Committee. Now; Commander Gazipur District Unit Command, Bangladesh Muktijuddhah Shangshad.
- Professor Dr Golam Hossain, Prof of Jahangirnagar university, Founder Secretary General Of Bangladesh Jatiotabadi Chatradal, Central Committee. Well known International research fellow.
- Shahid (martyr) Hurmat Ali
|Basha Shahid Abdul Jabbar' Portrait|
- Bhasha Shahid (language movement martyr)Abdur Jabbar
- Gonbindo Chondro Das (Nature Poet)
- Ahsan Ullah Master.
- Akhtaruzzaman (Current Jila Parishad Administrator, Former MP, DUCSU VP)
- Rajanikant Barman (Bangladesh National Football Team)
- S.M Tofazzal Hossain MBA, Managing Director, Asia Accessories Limited.
- Md. Hasan Uddin Sarker (Freedom Fighter,First chairman of tongi pouroshava,Ex Labour Leader, Ex Chairman of Bangladesh Krishi Bank,Ex Member of Parliament of Gazipur-2,Now Central Leader Of BNP)
- Md. Saiful Islam, founder and chairman at Progoti Co-operative Landmortgage Bank Limited (Progoti Bank)