Rajshahi, also known as the Silk City, is situated on the northern bank of the lower stream of the Ganges, known as the Padma. Like many other towns and cities located on the riverbanks, Rajshahi depended heavily on the Padma for its growth and development. In other words, the Padma greatly influenced the socio-economic conditions of the people of Rajshahi.
The areas, which comprised the greater district of Rajshahi, were inhabited preponderantly by the Hindus. The Muslim saints or Sufis, as they were called, who first arrived in this area promoted education and culture among the local people. They also provided food and shelter to the hungry and distressed, and elevated the morals of the people by their piety and exemplary character. The most distinguished of all these sufis was Shah Makhdum Abdul Quddus Jamal-al-Din Rupash. He arrived in Bagha in 1288 A.D. from Baghdad. Later, he came to the Rajshahi town. He passed away in 1325 A.D. on the present site of Dargahpara on the bank of the Padma. The dargah or shrine of the great saint, which attracted a large number of devotees, contributed to the growth of Muslim population in the area.
Rajshahi also enjoyed an advantage due to its being located on the bank of a large navigable river, the Padma. It emerged as a commercial centre, particularly for silk trade. In the absence of any recognised land route, the bulk of the trade was carried through the Padma. A large quantity of silk and silk fabrics was exported to the various parts of the Mughal Empire, to the neighbouring countries and to Europe. Rajshahi also became a prominent trading centre after the advent of the Europeans in the seventeenth century. The first Europeans to arrive here were the Dutch. Their silk factory located in the Barakuthi still stands on the riverbank as an important landmark. The Dutch were followed by the French and the English.
Sericulture was an agricultural home industry. The cultivators grew mulberry trees and reared silk worms in their houses on the mulberry leaves. Men, women and children were engaged in the rearing of the worms, winding, weaving and dying the silk. The mulberry tree thrives in the hard sticky soil in the Barind area and was therefore mostly cultivated in the district of Rajshahi, in the southern part of Dinajpur and Rangpur, in Murshidabad and its reighbouring areas. With the increasing commercial activities of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, cultivation of mulberry crops increased, thus contributing to abundantly productive silk industry. Following the incidents of the mid-eighteenth century, when the Marathas committed the most horrid devastation and cruelties and fed their horses and cattle with mulberry plantation in western Bengal, the Directors of the East India Company took some precautionary measures. They arranged for those people engaged in the silk industry to migrate to the other side of the Padma for in case Marathas or others should ever raid Bengal, they would not be able to cross the great river to destroy the mulberry plantation or disperse the winders of raw silk.
Undoubtedly, this measure contributed considerably to the prominence of Rajshahi as a major silk producing centre.
It was not the persons engaged in silk industry who alone migrated to Rajshahi. Common people of Murshidabad and its adjoining areas, scared of the Maratha atrocities during the middle of the 18th century, also crossed the river and settled in Rajshahi. Such influx of large number of people contributed to the growth of the population in the locality. In any case, it was the silk industry, which brought fame and fortune for the people of Rajshahi. But with the British East India Company’s occupation of Bengal in the middle of the eighteenth century and the Company's commercial policy together with the invention of machines led to the gradual decline of the silk industry of Rajshahi.
The shifting of the district headquarters from Natore to Rajshahi in 1825 gave a new impetus to the growth of the town, which also served later as the headquarters of the divisional administration. Since then most of the government offices and residences of high officials of the district are located on the bank of the river.
Among other most important institutions and buildings located on the bank of the Padma are Circuit House, Collectorate, Court House, Rajshahi Collegiate School, Rajshahi Government College, Varendra Research Museum, Rajshahi Madrassah, Rajshahi Radio station, Motel and Rajshahi Central Jail etc. The Central Jail was constructed in the middle of the 19th century. Apart from holding the prisoners, the jail, at its early stage, had another important role to play in the town life of the people. The European residents in Rajshahi had to depend on the Jail for the drinking water, which would be sold to them at an anna per bucket or tin. The same water was used by the prisoners. It was obtained from the river Padma and brought inside the Jail through pipe. Later, in order to avoid difficulty and expense the Public Works Department had arranged an independent and reliable water supply by sinking well inside the Jail.
Puthia Temple Complex consists of a cluster of notable old Hindu temples in Puthia Upazila, Rajshahi Division, Bangladesh. Located 23 km to the east of Rajshahi city, it has the largest number of historic temples in Bangladesh. The temples were built by Hindu Zamindars Rajas of the Puthia Raj family who were noted philanthropists of Rajshahi. The temples have been built in terracotta in a variety of styles combining the typical Jor-bangla architecture with other influences. The Rajbari or Palace of the Raja of Puthia and the exquisite and unique Dol Mancha is part of the complex. The temples are laid out around a lake with a sprawling lawn.
The Puthia Raj family was established by a holy man named Bhatsacharya, who lived in the 16th century. Raja Man Singh, Governor of the Mughal emperor Akbar confiscated the Jagir of the refractory pathan jagirdar of Rajshahi named Lashker Khan and bestowed the Zamindary on the saintly Bhatsacharya for his learning, but he declined. However, his son Pitambar was granted the Lashkarpur estate permanently. On his death, his son Nilambar received the title of Raja from Emperor Jahangir. The Puthia Royal Family Estate was the second largest Zamindary and the wealthiest in British Bengal. After India's partition the then Pakistani government abolished the zamindary system and confisticated all Hindu properties. The Royal Family migrated to India shortly afterwards.
This grand temple of Puthia, the Govinda Temple was erected in mid-nineteenth century by the queen of Puthia. The temple is dedicated to Lord Krishna, as the Puthia royal family were converted to Vaishnavism by Radhamohana Thakura. The temple has exquisite terracotta ornamentation depicting the divine romance between Krishna and Radha. The temple's survival is threatened by the newly established college nearby and the lack of conservation efforts.
The Bhubaneshwar Shiva Temple is the largest Shiva temple in Bangladesh. Built in 1823 by Rani Bhubonmoyee Devi, the widow of Raja Jagat Narayan Roy, it overlooks the Shiv Sagar lake. This ornate temple is an imposing and excellent example of the five spire style (Pancha Ratna) temple architecture common in northern India. The corridors have a touch of Jaipuri architecture and in the sanctuary, lies a very large black basalt Shiva Linga, the largest in the country. It is decorated with stone carvings and sculptural works, which were disfigured during the Bangladesh Liberation War in 1971. The invading Pakistani army attempted to displace and break the Shiva Linga, but were unable to move it from its position. The temple is now a protected monument.
The Jagannath Temple is dedicated to the Hindu God Jagannath, a form of Krishna. It is a fine example of Bengali architecture, having intricate embellishments and terracotta reliefs, it measures 5m by 10m.
Charghat (Bengali: চারঘাট) is an Upazila of Rajshahi District in the Division of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
Charghat is on the bank of the river Padma. There is the only Police Academy at Sardah & a cadet college. Charghat was declared Pourashava in 1998. Md. Anwar Hossain was the first chairman. Charghat is famous for Khoer industry. Mangoes are produced here in plenty. The noted village of Charghat is Mokterpur. A sand mine is located here. Rajshahi Cadet College is situated here. There is a club named Mokterpur Shobuj Shangha. A charity organization named BOTBRIKKHO is also there which works for the poor people. It was established by Md. Oashimul Bari (Oashim), a student of Dhaka University, Dept. of English. Charghat is a centre of cultural programs. Projonmo Theatre of Dakra & Botbrikkho are at the helm of arranging the programs. Sports are held here frequently. All these are supervised by the honourable Mp Md. shahariar Alam of AL. Shardah college is the top level one in Charghat.
Charghat is located at 24.2833°N 88.7750°E . It has 30799 units of house hold and total area 164.52 km².
As of the 1991 Bangladesh census, Charghat has a population of 163862. Males constitute are 51.62% of the population, and females 48.38%. This Upazila's eighteen up population is 82597. Charghat has an average literacy rate of 26.6% (7+ years), and the national average of 32.4% literate.
Charghat has 6 Unions/Wards, 93 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 129 villages.
Bagha (Bengali: বাঘা) is an Upazila of Rajshahi District in the Division of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
Bagha is located at 24.1917°N 88.8333°E . It has 29056 units of house hold and total area 184.25 km².
As of the 1991 Bangladesh census, Bagha has a population of 153931. Males constitute are 51.48% of the population, and females 48.52%. This Upazila's eighteen up population is 77686. Bagha has an average literacy rate of 26.2% (7+ years), and the national average of 32.4% literate.
Bagha has 6 Unions/Wards, 98 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 101 villages.
Rajshahi College (Bengali: রাজশাহী কলেজ Rajshahi Kôlej) is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in Bangladesh. Established in 1873 in Rajshahi city, it is said to be the third oldest college in Bangladesh after Dhaka College and Chittagong College. Rajshahi College was the first institution in the territories now comprising Bangladesh to award a Masters degree. It also offers three years bachelor and four years honours degree courses in various disciplines. The college is affiliated with the National University. Since 1996 it has stopped enrolling Higher Secondary students. Situated in the city center, Rajshahi College is adjacent to Rajshahi Collegiate School and is very near the famous Barendra Museum.
The origins of the college were in a private English School that had been founded in Rajshahi in 1828 by the concerted efforts of many of the region's most prominent citizens (this school is now known as Rajshahi Collegiate School). In 1836 the school was taken over by the provincial government of Bengal and was converted into a Government Zilla (or District) School. In 1873, again through the concerted efforts and appeals of local citizens, the Zilla School was given the status of an Intermediate College, and F.A. courses were introduced into its curriculum. With further development this college was accorded "first-grade rank" in 1878, which meant that it could teach B.A. courses and be affiliated to the University of Calcutta. The name "Rajshahi College" came with the first-grade rank in 1878. The year 1881 saw the inauguration of the M. A. classes; B.L. classes were added in 1883. The postgraduate Departments in Arts and in Law continued till 1909 when they were withdrawn because the college could not meet the requirements of the New Regulations of the University of Calcutta which came into force in that year.
Starting with only 6 students on the roll in 1873, the college counted 100 in 1878, 200 in 1900, 400 in 1910, 800 in 1920 and no less than 1000 in 1924; there was only one Muslim student at the college in 1873; 5 years later it was still one, but the figure rose to 156 in 1916 and climaxed at 215 in 1924. Subsequently, of course, Muslim numbers rose in the college and after 1947 eventually exceeded the Hindu numbers. Today, in independent Bangladesh, the college has been accorded "University College" status and no longer teaches Higher Secondary or Intermediate courses. Currently, it is part of the National University system of Bangladesh and its curriculum includes only undergraduate and post-graduate courses in a variety of disciplines.
The main administrative building (shown in the picture), is a good example of British Indian colonial architecture. Other important older buildings of the colonial period include the Fuller Hostel Biology Building, Chemistry Building, Physics Building, former Muslim Hostel etc. Newer buildings include the Library and Auditorium, an Arts building, both dating from the 1950s and a new Science building, dating from the 1990s.
Immediately after the killing of students in Dhaka on 21 February 1952 students in Rajshahi College built what is often thought to be the first (but short lived) martyr monument dedicated to the Language Movement. The present monument to the Language Movement dates from 1973. It was built to replace an earlier monument, built in 1969, that was destroyed by Pakistani forces in 1971.(this is the first monument-snoman).
Highly distinguished Alumni and Faculty of Rajshahi College include:
- Khademul Bashar
- Md. Golam Kabir
- Md. Enamul Haque
- Jodunath Sarkar
- Qazi Motahar Hossain
- Romaprasad Chanda
- Akshay Kumar Maitreya
Godagari (Bengali: গোদাগড়ি) is an Upazila of Rajshahi District in the Division of Rajshahi, Bangladesh. This is the place where Mahananda river fall to Padma or Ganges.
Godagari is located at 24.4667°N 88.3306°E . It has 40011 units of house hold and total area 472.13 km².
Godagari thana was established in 1865 and was turned into an upazila in 1984. It consists of nine union parishads, 389 mouzas and 396 villages.
Padumsa Dighi (pond) of Raja Bijoy Sen at village Deopara (eleventh century), tomb of Hazrat Shah Sultan at Sultanganj (fourteenth century), tomb of Ali Kuli Beg at Kumarpur.
Marks of War of Liberation Memorial monument 1 (Sheikherpara).
Population 217811; male 50.88%, female 49.12%; Muslim 86.55%, Hindu 8.05%, Christian 1.93% and others 3.47%; different ethnic nationals: 3749 families including the Santals.
Religious institutions Mosque 439, temple 18, church 9, sacred place 2, khankah (Nazir Pur) 1.Darbar Sharif ( Kalimiah Darbar Sharif) 1.
Literacy and educational institutions Average literacy 27.6%; male 32.3% and female 22.6%. Educational institutions: college 11, secondary school 53, madrasa 18, government primary school 76, non-government primary school 63. Noted educational institutions: Godagari Ideal Primary School (1913), Godagari High School (1948).
As of the 1991 Bangladesh census, Godagari has a population of 217811. Males constitute are 50.88% of the population, and females 49.12%. This Upazila's eighteen up population is 108869. Godagari has an average literacy rate of 27.6% (7+ years), and the national average of 32.4% literate. G
odagari has 9 Unions/Wards, 392 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 396 villages.
New Govt. Degree College, Rajshahi [Bangla: নিউ গভঃ ডিগ্রী কলেজ, রাজশাহী] is a government sponsored independent college.The College is located in Rajshahi, Bangladesh. This is one of the most advanced higher secondary institutes in Bangladesh and one of the most advanced colleged of northern Bangladesh. This college was established in 1966 and since then it has been offering under-graduate programs and graduate programs under Bangladesh National University. But now the college is mainly reputed for its outstanding results in H.S.C (Higher Secondary Certificate)exams .In HSC 2012 among the first top 10 colleges to attain highest G.P.A. 5.00 it was the only college outside capital Dhaka.The students who passed H.S.C from here have remarkable achievement in their professional life.The college has a writers organisation named YOUTH WRITERS FORUM which is organised by its students.
The Padma (Bengali: পদ্মা Pôdda) is the name used in Bangladesh for a major trans-boundary river, known in India as the main distributary of the Ganges (Bengali: গঙ্গা Gôngga), the river system that originated in the western Himalayas. The Padma enters Bangladesh from India near Chapai Nababganj. It meets the Jamuna (Bengali: যমুনা Jomuna) near Aricha and retains its name, but finally meets with the Meghna (Bengali: মেঘনা) near Chandpur and adopts the name 'Meghna' before flowing into the Bay of Bengal.
Rajshahi, a major city in western Bangladesh, is situated on the north bank of the Padma. Its maximum depth is 1,571 feet (479 m) and average depth is 968 feet (295 m).
Originating in the Gangotri Glacier of the Himalaya, the Ganges runs to the Bay of Bengal through India, entering Bangladesh at Shibganj in the district of Chapai Nababganj. Just west of Shibganj, the distributary Bhagirathi emerges and flows southwards as the Hooghly. After the point where the Bhagirathi branches off, the Ganges is officially referred to as the Padma and the river Bhagirathi is known as the Ganga. Later the British started calling it the Hoogly river.
Further downstream, in Goalando, 2200 km away from the source, the Padma is joined by the mighty Jamuna (Lower Brahmaputra) and the resulting combination flows with the name Padma further east, to Chandpur. Here, the widest river in Bangladesh, the Meghna, joins the Padma, continuing as the Meghna almost in a straight line to the south, ending in the Bay of Bengal.
The Padma (Sanskrit for lotus flower) is mentioned numerous times in Hindu Mythology including the Vedas, the Puranas, the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. In all the epic stories, the river is mentioned as byname for the Goddess Lakshmi though the origin differs.
After building of Farakka Barrage on the upstream of the river in Indian West Bengal the capacity of the river was reduced significantly.
A road-rail bridge was proposed in 2009.
Padma bridge is the largest bridge of Bangladesh (proposed). It will cost US$2.3 billion to finish. It was supposed to be open to the public in 2013. However,the future of the project became uncertain when in June 2012 World Bank cancelled its US $ 1.2 billion loan over corruption allegations. The loan was officially revived in September 2012, but negotiations are still underway.
The name Padma is given to the lower part of the course of the Ganges below the point of the off-take of the Bhagirathi (India). Padma had, most probably, flown through a number of channels at different times. Some authors contend that each distributary of the Ganges in its deltaic part is a remnant of an old principal channel, and that starting from the western-most one, the Bhagirathi (in West Bengal, India), each distributary to the east marks a position of a newar channel than the one to the west of it.
Rennell referred to a former course of the Ganges north of its present channel. "Appearances favour very strongly that the Ganges had its former bed in the tract now occupied by the lakes and morasses between Natore and Jaffargunge, striking out of the present course by Dhaka to a junction of Brahmapooter or Meghna near Fringybazar, where accumulation of two such mighty streams probably scooped out the present amazing bed of the Meghna". The places mentioned by Rennell proceeding from west to east are Rampur Boali, the headquarters of Rajshahi district, Puthia and Natore in the same district and Jaffarganj in the district of Dhaka. The place last named were shown in a map of the Mymensingh district dated 1861, as a subdistrict (thana) headquarters, about 6 miles south-east of Bera police station. It is now known as Payla Jaffarganj and is close to Elachipur opposite Goalunda. According to Rennell's theory, therefore, the probable former course of the Ganges would correspond with that of the present channel of the Baral.
Authorities agree that the Ganges has changed its course and that at different times, each of the distributaries might have been the carrier of its main stream.
The bed of the Padma is wide, and the river is split up into several channels flowing between constantly shifting sand banks and islands. During the rains the current is very strong and even steamers may find difficult in making headway against it. It is navigable at all seasons of the year by steamers and country boats of all sizes and until recently ranked as one the most frequented waterways in the world. It is spanned near Paksey by the great Hardinge Bridge over which runs one of the main lines of the Bangladesh Railway.
The Padma forms the whole of the southern boundary of the district for a distance of about 90 miles.
The mighty Padma touches the district at its most northerly corner, at the point where it throws off the Jalangi, and flows along the northern border in a direction slightly south-east, until it leaves the district some miles to the east of Kushtia. It carries immense volumes of water and is very wide at places, constantly shifting its main channel eroding vast areas on one bank throwing chars on the other giving rise to many disputes as to the possession of the chars and islands which are thrown up.
Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (Bengali: রাজশাহী প্রকৌশল ও প্রযুক্তি বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় (Rajshahi Prokoushol o Projukti Bishshobiddalôe)) or RUET (Bengali : রুয়েট) formerly known as BIT, Rajshahi, is the second oldest engineering university in Bangladesh. It was founded in 1964 as a faculty of Engineering under the University of Rajshahi. It is now providing four years Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Industrial and Production Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Glass and Ceramic Engineering, Urbanization & Regional Planning. It is widely reputed as one of the best engineering universities in Bangladesh. About 2000 students are enrolled in Undergraduate and Postgraduate Engineering and Science with over 200 teachers. This university has a reputation for having a very good relationship between students and teachers. RUET has continued to expand with the construction of new academic buildings, auditorium complex, halls of residence, etc. As of 2012, RUET ranked 356 in the world in Engineering & Technology in the QS World University Rankings.
RUET is located on the north side of Rajshahi-Natore-Dhaka road at Kazla, 5 kilometers east of Rajshahi city, on 152 acres (0.62 km2) of land. Known as green campus with a large varieties of trees, the campus is laid out with a picturesque landscape by the side of famous Padma River and Rajshahi University.
The campus presents a spectacular harmony of architecture and natural beauty. The campus area has been divided into function zones: residence for students, residential zones of faculty and other supporting staff, academic zone for academic buildings and laboratories/workshops, and cultural-cum-social and recreation zones for students. A bank branch, post office, modern cafeteria, auditorium and medical center are on the campus. In RUET there is a very big play ground and a central common room with a gymnasium for the students.
A secondary school and a college are located in RUET to teach the children of university employees.
Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology(RUET) was founded in 1964 as a faculty of engineering under the University of Rajshahi providing four-year Bachelor degrees in Civil, Electrical and Electronic and Mechanical Engineering. However, the institution could not achieve its goal because of the complicated management system: The administration was controlled by the Ministry of Education; academic curriculum by the University of Rajshahi; and the infrastructural development and maintenance by the Public Works Department. To circumvent these problems, several committees and commissions were formed since 1973. On the recommendation of these committees/commissions and having considered the practical aspects, autonomy was given to the four engineering colleges to make them centers of excellence of technology. A 15-member high-powered committee was formed, headed by Professor Dr. Wahid Uddin Ahmed, the then vice chancellor of BUET.
The consistent effort of this committee ultimately led to the establishment of four engineering colleges to Bangladesh Institute of Technology (BIT) in July 1986. But due to limited autonomy and some constitutional inadequacies of the BIT ordinance, the expected progress of the institutions could not be achieved. This ultimately necessitates re-framing the institutes as full-fledged universities. Due to the development of Engineering Education it was the appropriate steps to convert the four BITs to engineering and technological universities. The parliament passed the university bill and that ultimately paved the way to commence the activities of university from September 1, 2002. The name of the BIT became Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology (RUET).
This is a three-storied building. It accommodates the offices of vice-chancellor, registrar and different department heads. Rupali Bank, post office and laboratories of Physics and Chemistry departments are in this building.
The university provides educational and related facilities to give students with the ability to plan, administer and manage the latest technologies to decrease the gap between developed and developing countries. A brief description of them is given below.
The central library building is walking distance from the academic buildings and student residences. It is a compact building with limited built-in facilities to provide teaching aids such as reading facility, borrowing of books, journals, etc. to the students and teachers of RUET. In consistent with the academic curricula, the contents of the central library are being updated consistently to keep up with technological trends.
Apart from the central library facility, each degree-awarding department has its own rental library that provides books on rent to students.
An on-campus medical center provides primary and basic health care facilities to the students free of charges. Two full-time MBBS doctors and other staffs provide these facilities. For specialized consultation on complicated cases, the center refers the patients to specialist consultants.
The university has a central computer center providing computing and Internet facilities to the students and faculty members. The center often offers short training courses and presently with the department of CSE the central computer center is arranging CISCO local academy program.
The Directorate of Student Welfare is responsible for the activities related to the physical, social and other aspects of student welfare. These include arrangement of supervision of halls of residence, programs for physical education, games and sports, supervision of the programs of co-curricular activities of students through the Central Student Union and through the students union of the various halls of residence. It is also responsible for providing health services through the student's health center.
The Central Students Union (most of its members are elected by the students) maintains and aids the new students in their introduction to the RUET as well as in looking after the problems of the students.
The student unions of the various residential halls also arrange their individual co-curricular activities, literary competitions etc. and help the hall administration for its proper management.
The sports center of the RUET provides excellent facilities to students for acquiring physical and mental fitness that is indispensable for a healthy mind and body. The university maintains a beautiful playground, rugby field,tennis lawn and basketball court. The sports center arranges a very colorful athletic competition every year.
For improvement of the standard of games and sports, regular coaching and grooming by experts is arranged. The university arranges inter-year, inter-departmental football, cricket and basketball and baseball and squash and volleyball competition. Teacher- and student-friendly games are also arranged.
Student dormitories (called halls at RUET) are important features in campus life. There are six residential halls. The Ladies D MST Hall is for women, and the remaining halls are for undergraduate men.
Administrative head of a hall is its provost, usually chosen from the more senior teachers. The halls are mostly named after national heroes and leaders. These are listed below with their capacities:
The university has an Auditorium Complex with modern facilities having a seat capacity of about 700, which is capable of holding conferences, seminars and other cultural programs. Besides this there are seminar and conference rooms with limited capacity in engineering degree awarding departments
This is an endeavor to encourage students of the Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering of Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology to extend their thinking, desiration, expectation and invention.To keep students update in all sides. The club provides free classes, seminar, workshop, books, papers and journals. To involve with advanced technology analysis.To make a easy platform between past and present students of the department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering of Rajshahi University of Engineering and Technology. One can easily download thesis and mini thesis paper of different series of the Department of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering from club site.
Rajshahi Cadet College, or RCC, is a military high school, located in Sardah, Rajshahi, Bangladesh. It is situated by the bank of river Padma at Mukhtarpur village of Sardah in Charghat of Rajshahi District of the northern region of Bangladesh.
The Rajshahi Cadet College is 25 km away from Rajshahi city. The college, the foundation of which was laid by the then President of Pakistan, Field Marshall Ayub Khan, on 6 November 1964, was formally inaugurated on 11 February 1966 as Ayub Cadet college, which was renamed soon after the independence of Bangladesh.
The college was initially named Ayub Cadet College. It was established in 1966 during the Pakistan period. Pakistani dictator and Field Marshal Ayub Khan named the institution by his own name and laid the foundation stone. East Pakistan Governor Munaim Khan, a collaborator of the Pakistan occupation army who was later assassinated in 1971, inaugurated the college. The name was changed after Bangladesh obtained independence, and it is now known as Rajshahi Cadet College (RCC).
Late Wing Commander (Retd) Mohammad Syed PAF was the founding Principal of the college who joined on November 1, 1965. The first Budget and Accounts Officer to join the college was the late Gholam Mustafa, the father of cadet 4/185, Prof Dr. Gholam Mujtaba. Most of the development projects including all the four dormitories were completed during his tenure. The first Adjutant to join was Capt. Khaled Adib (Punjab) on February 2, 1968. Mr. M Saleh Uddin Sinha joined as the first teacher of the college. It was the last among four cadet colleges established during the Pakistani colonial period in East Pakistan. The first Bangalee Principal of the college (third Principal) appointed on January 1, 1970 was Mr. M. Bakiatullah. Many teachers, students and other staff of the college, including Shaheed AB Siddiqui Bir Bikram (BB), laid down their lives for the freedom of the country. Eight cadets and ten staff embraced martyrdom while four staff of the college still remain missing.
The first Bangalee Adjutant of the college (third Adjutant) was Capt. MA Rashid (FF) who joined on September 23, 1970. Capt. Rashid Bir Bikram (later Colonel; given the death penalty in the abortive coup that killed President Ziaur Rahman Bir Uttam at Chittagong in 1981) inspired cadets to join the Bangladesh independence war in 1971. The college founding day is celebrated every year on February 11. The alumni association of the graduate students of the college is known as the Old Rajshahi Cadets Association (ORCA).
In 1972, after the war of liberation Rajshahi Cadet College was reopened. The whole campus was grief-stricken and was in a mourning mood. Classes resumed with a lack of teachers, employees, and students.
The students decided to form a platform that would preserve the brotherly ties of the ex-cadets of RCC. These sentiments culminated in the formation of OSCA (Old Sardah Cadets Association) on June 6, 1972. The first constitution of OSCA/ORCA framed by the committee was adopted on October 1, 1973. The ORCA logo (with the words 'old friends') was designed by Muhammad Ehsanullah. AKM Saiful Majid was selected/elected as the founder Vice-President of the Association. Shortly thereafter as he left the country M Sadirul Islam took over the reins.
During that time and subsequent periods, the incumbent Principal of Rajshahi Cadet College was designated as the ex-officio President of OSCA/ORCA. Therefore, Mr. M. Bakiatullah (late) became the first President of OSCA/ORCA. The first office was located at Room no. 544, Hajee Mahammad Mohsin Hall, University of Dhaka. Thereafter it was moved to Dilkusha Sporting Club at the Outer Stadium and the Association was renamed as Old Rajshahi Cadets Association (ORCA). Before moving to the 250, New Elephant Road, during an intervening period of 1978=1980, the office was located at 58 Lake Circus, Kalabagan. ORCA is now housed at House No. 28, Lake Drive Road, Nikunja-1, Dhaka-1229.
Rajshahi Krishi Unnayan Bank is a state-owned bank in Bangladesh, a specialized financial institution for financing the farmers of 16 districts of Rajshahi and Rangpur administrative divisions comprising the north-west Bangladesh. Established by the President's Ordinance No. 58 of 1986 the bank started functioning on 15 March 1987. The bank emerged as the government's aim of providing intensive care to agriculture of Rajshahi and Rangpur Divisions providing livelihood to 35 million people of the area. The region is full of agricultural potentials. The Rajshahi and Rangpur Divisions characterized by their surplus food grain production are popularly called the "granary of the country". Besides catering to agricultural credit, RAKUB, as Rajshahi Krishi Unnayan Bank is acronymed, renders deposit banking services through all its 368 branches including one in Dhaka and the rest 367 lying within its operational jurisdiction of Rajshahi and Rangpur. The headquarters of the bank is stationed at Rajshahi city, some 270 kilometer to the north of Dhaka.
Management of the bank is entrusted by the government to a seven-member board of Directors. Managing Director is the chief executive of the bank.
The bank takes pride in being the largest development partner in the northwest region of Bangladesh. RAKUB aims at overall development of farmers and all the sectors and sub-sectors of agriculture in this region. The bank also performs functions like financing agri-business and agro-based industries and poverty alleviation programs.
Authorized capital of the bank amounts to Tk 7500 million. Paid-up capital amounts to Tk 5700 million and reserve Tk 208.50 million as on 25 April 2010.
The Bank finances for production of all the summer and winter crops, horticulture & nursery etc. High yielding and high value crops and seeds production is particularly encouraged. Crop sub-sector alone occupies 60% of the lending budget of the Bank.
The Bank extends credit facilities for systematic and commercial livestock farming which includes dairy, beef-fattening, poultry, raising and setting up of hatcheries which in turn is expected to increase production of milk, meet and eggs, the main source of protein. As the marginal and small farmers access to mechanized farming is restrained by want of cash and collateral, the bank has a big lending window of draft animals for cultivation of land, transportation of agricultural produces and other farming activities.
The Bank attaches importance to use scientific method and modern technology in fish cultivation. It extends adequate credit support for excavation and re-excavation of ponds, round the year cultivation of species, which have rapid growth, cultivation of sweet water prawn and other fishes. The Bank makes use of expertise of the concerned government agencies for bringing more ponds/water bodies under cultivation and increasing productivity.
In today's technology-based farming of high yielding and high-value crops, mechanization of cultivation, irrigation and pest-control is indispensable. To cope with the situation financing power tillers, tractors, tube wells, power-pumps, fertilizer and pesticide application devices.
The operational jurisdiction of the Bank is noted for its agricultural potentials. The Bank pays due importance to setting up agro-industries for preservation, processing and marketing of agricultural produces having backward linkage with basic sub-sectors of crop, fishery, livestock and forestation. Manufacturing and marketing of agricultural implements are also encouraged. Agro-industries for import sub situation are specially encouraged by offering moderate terms of financing.
The poverty-stricken area of north-west Bangladesh is characterized by comparatively lower rate of savings, inadequate capital accumulation and slim employment opportunities. The existing collateral-based banking system is also of little use in respect of extending support to the millions of landless people. To address the problem, the Bank has been financing collateral-free micro-credit for income and employment generation through its poverty alleviation credit programs.
Rajshahi Medical College, located in Rajshahi, Bangladesh, is a state-sponsored medical school. It is affliliated with the Rajshahi University.
It was established in 1958, the second such institution in erstwhile East Pakistan after Dhaka Medical College. It has a large hospital that is the central provider for advanced health care in the northern part of Bangladesh.
Rajshahi Medical College admits 175 students every year for its M.B.B.S. program. It's dental unit admits a further 50 students. Students are admitted in these programs after high school and get a degree after 5 years of study and 1 year internship in the Government owned public hospital.
It has two boys' hostel named 'shahid muktijoddha kazi nur un nobi hostel' and 'shahid shah moinul ahsan pinku hostel'.It has three girls' hostel named 'polin hostel','falguni hostel' and 'ayesha siddiqua hostel'.Besides there are also two hostels for intern doctors.one for males and another for females.The name of the male intern doctors' hostel is 'shahid jamil akhtar roton hostel'.
A handful number of enthusiastic and philanthropic people started a Medical School in Rajshahi city in 1954. A four year course was started leading to diploma called LMF (Licentiate of Medical Faculty) offered by the State Medical Faculty, Dhaka. A total of eighty students were admitted in the very first year of its inception. In 1954, the then East Pakistan Government converted it into a government Institute, Rajshahi Medical School.
Later on, the government decided to start a five year course leading to MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery) degree and as such in 1958 Rajshahi Medical School emerged as Rajshahi Medical College. At the beginning, the Medical College was housed in a small building of the Barendra Museum. It was later shifted to the present college building. Forty two native and two foreign students were admitted in the first batch.
Since then, the college has been continuing its steady progress. The number of admitted students is now increased to 175 which is equal in 8 old government medical colleges of Bangladesh. Foreign students of SAARC countries are being admitted in this Institution every year. Other hospitals situated in the city like Infectious Disease Hospital founded in 1962, Hospital for Tuberculosis and Chest Diseases founded in 1966, Leprosy Control Center founded in 1968 are all affiliated with this college. A Nuclear Medicine Center was also established within the campus in 1970. Following the war of liberation in 1971, the Medical College and hospital have made considerable improvements in many aspects such as extension of the college buildings, student's accommodation, number of hospital beds, and establishment of a modern Auditorium etc. There has been addition of new departments like Coronary Care Unit, Nephrology, Neurosurgery, Radiotherapy and Gastroenterology. Recently the hospital is equipped with CT scan, MRI, angiogram and renal haemodialysis machine. There have been a few recent additions in the College too like establishment of a beautiful mosque at the college premises, modernization and beautification of college main gate and premises, extension of the conference room with modern audio-visual facilities. At present besides undergraduate MBBS and BDS courses, postgraduate MD, MS, M.Phil, MPH and Diploma degrees are being awarded in 18 disciplines at Rajshahi Medical College. Already a handful number of successful doctors have achieved their postgraduate degrees from this college and working in various field of their specialization with good reputation.
Rajshahi Silk is the name given to the silk products produced in Rajshahi, Bangladesh. It is a famous name in the domain of clothing, especially in saris.
Rajshahi silk is a delicate and soft fibre produced from the cocoons of silkworms and is covered with a protein called Sericin. There are mainly three varieties of silks.
- Mulberry Silk
- Eri (or Endi) Silk and
- Tassar Silk.
Among these varieties, Mulberry silk is the finest and is therefore the most valuable.
Saris and other products made out of Rajshahi silk are coveted by users in the country and in foreign countries. Rajshahi silk is available as fabric in colors and patterns for designers. Silk fabric is available in ranges for apparel and for other purposes.
Rajshahi houses a number of silk industries and a Silk Research Institute. The region's sericulture accounts for almost the entire silk output of Bangladesh. Approximately 100,000 people are directly or indirectly employed in this sector.
Shabash Bangladesh (Bravo Bangladesh) is one of the most renowned sculptures in Bangladesh. It is located at Rajshahi University premises. Shabash Bangladesh is another state of the art sculpture created to pay tribute to those killed in the Liberation War of Bangladesh.
Nitun Kundu is the sculptor of Shabash Bangladesh.
Shah Makhdum Airport (IATA: RJH, ICAO: VGRJ) is an airport serving Rajshahi, a city in the Rajshahi Division in Bangladesh.
The airport resides at an elevation of 64 feet (20 m) above mean sea level. It has one runway designated 17/35 with an asphalt surface measuring 1,829 by 30 metres (6,001 ft × 98 ft).
Mohanpur (Bengali: মোহনপুর) is an Upazila of Rajshahi District in the Division of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
Mohanpur is located at 24.5639°N 88.6500°E . It has 24828 units of house hold and total area 162.65 km². Postal Code- 6220.
As of the 1991 Bangladesh census, Mohanpur has a population of 126396. Males constitute are 50.32% of the population, and females 49.68%. This Upazila's eighteen up population is 63384. Mohanpur has an average literacy rate of 25.2% (7+ years), and the national average of 32.4% literate.
Mohanpur has 6 Unions/Wards, 167 Mauzas/Mahallas, and 154 villages. Two Government High School are situated here.
It is a "Majar" or "Dorga" (Shrine) is established around the grave of Hazrat Shah Mokhdum Ruposh(Rh.) in Rajshahi city beside the famous River Padma and in the area called Durgah Para.It is said that he was the first Islam preacher in the Rajshahi region.It is said that he came to Rajshahi through the river Padma riding two crocodiles. Even now, some crocodiles are reserved in the Dhighi(Large pond) next to the shrine of Hazrat Shah Mokhdum(Rh).
The visitors can go for one day trip and visit the shrine built next to the grave of the preacher. It is regarded as one of the ancient sites of the Rajshahi region and a popular attraction of the country.
Rajshahi University or University of Rajshahi (Bengali: রাজশাহী বিশ্ববিদ্যালয় Raajshaahi Bish-shobid-daloy) is a public university located in Rajshahi, a city in north-western Bangladesh. Rajshahi University was established in 1953, the second university to be established in what was then East Pakistan.
The university's forty-seven departments are organised into nine faculties. Rajshahi University is located in a 753 acres (3 km2) campus in Motihar, 3 kilometres (2 mi) from the Rajshahi city centre. With 25,000 students and close to 1000 academic staff, it is one of the largest universities in Bangladesh. In addition to hosting programs in the Engineering, arts, sciences, agriculture, social sciences, business studies and medical sciences, the university houses a number of institutes of higher studies. This is the premier university in Bangladesh to have online subscription of world renowned journals.
The first proposal to establish a university came in 1917, when Calcutta University created the Sadler Commission to assess the university system in Bengal. However, the recommendations of the report had no immediate consequences.
Following the Partition of India in 1947, what is now Bangladesh became East Pakistan. University of Dhaka, established in 1921, was the only university in East Pakistan at the time. Demand for a university in the northern part of East Pakistan gained momentum when two universities were established in West Pakistan without the establishment of any in the east. Students of Rajshahi College were at the forefront of the movement demanding a new university. Finally, Rajshahi was selected as the home for the second university in East Pakistan and the Rajshahi University Act of 1953 (East Bengal Act XV of 1953) was passed by the East Pakistan provincial Assembly on 31 March 1953. Itrat Hossain Zuberi, the Principal of Rajshahi College was appointed the first Vice-Chancellor of the university. Initially, the university was housed in temporary locations, such as the local Circuit House and Bara Kuthi, an 18th-century Dutch establishment. B B Hindu Academy, a local school, housed the library, teachers' lounge and the medical centre of the university. The university started out with 20 professors, 161 students (of which 5 were female) and six departments—Bengali, English, History, Law, Philosophy and Economics. In 1964, the offices moved to the permanent campus.
The 1960s was a turbulent period in the history of Bangladesh, when demands for East Pakistani autonomy became stronger. The students and staff of the university started playing an increasing role in politics during this period. On 18 February 1969, Shamsuzzoha, a professor of the university was killed by the police when he tried to prevent them from shooting student demonstrators. This date is now commemorated as Zoha Day. During the Bangladesh Liberation War of 1971, the university campus was used as a base by the Pakistan Army. A number of professors, students and officers of the university were killed by the Pakistan army during this period.
After independence, a new act regarding the administration of the university came into being—the Rajshahi University Act of 1973. The post-independence years saw the university grow steadily in student enrollment and size of the academic staff. However, the 1980s were turbulent years for the university, as the students agitated with other institutions of the country against the military rule of Hossain Muhammad Ershad. Since early 1990s, the university have seen relative calm and lowering of session backlogs, though active student politics remains a contentious issue to date.
The current emblem of the university was also selected. The circle of the emblem represents the world. An open book is shown in red and gold, red representing one of the colors of the national flag, and gold the value of education. The body of the book is blue, the color of the sky, and at the centre is a shapla flower (Nymphaeaceae), the national flower of Bangladesh.
The university's main campus is located in Motihar, on the eastern side of the city of Rajshahi and a mile from the river Padma. The campus area is nearly 753 acres (3.05 km2). Access to the walled-off university campus is controlled through three security gates. The campus houses eleven large academic buildings—five for the arts, business studies and social sciences, four for the sciences and two for agricultural studies.
The central part of the university, accessible by the main gate, is dominated by the administrative building, where the offices of the Vice-Chancellor and other officials are located. This is flanked by the senate building and the residence of the Vice-Chancellor on one side (also featuring the famous Shabash Bangladesh sculpture) and the university mosque and Shaheed Minar complex on the other. Behind the administrative building is the central library, around which the four science buildings and three main arts buildings are located. The science buildings are named numerically as the "First Science Building" and so on. The arts buildings are named respectively after Muhammad Shahidullah, Momtazuddin Ahmed and Rabindranath Tagore. More towards the east lie the stadium, the new teacher-student centre and the main auditorium.
The Kazla gate provides access to the south-western part of the campus. The Juberi international guest-house, Rajshahi University School and the main residential facilities for the academic staff and university officers are located here. Near the residential areas are all five dorms (known as residential halls) for female students. The eastern part of the campus houses the Institute of Bangladesh Studies, the medical and sports facilities and more residential facilities for the university staff—but is dominated by the eleven large dormitories for male students. From the Binodpur gate, the residential halls named after Nawab Abdul Latif, Shamsuzzoha and Madarbux are located to the north, while Sher-e-Bangla hall and the oldest dorm Motihar Hall lie to the west. The second largest mass graves in Bangladesh from the 1971 war era is located behind Shamsuzzoha Hall.
The campus contains a quite a few mango orchards. The Rajshahi area is regarded as one of the best mangoe producing areas in the country, and these orchards are leased out to professional farmers during the summer, when the fruits grow. The campus also reflects the region's silk industry, fields of mulberry trees are to be seen in the campus, both for agricultural and research needs. The northern part of the campus houses a botanical garden, which has a good collection of rare plants.
A few miles from the main campus is the Varendra Research Museum, one of the richest repertory of Bengal sculptures in the world. Established in 1910 by Ramaprasad Chanda, the museum became a part of the university in 1960s when a financial crisis threatened its existence. Under the university, the museum has thrived, adding an folklore gallery to its impressive collection from ancient and medieval Bengal. The Bara Kuthi, where the university was established is also still under university control, and is located on the Padma not too far away from Varendra Museum. The university has an agricultural facility few miles from the main campus. Rajshahi University maintains other facilities across the country including a guesthouse in the capital city, Dhaka.
Rajshahi University is home to many architectural and artistic landmarks. The Shaheed Minar is an important example, complete with a mural designed by Murtaza Bashir. The Senate House is a modern mini-parliament house, usually used for meetings of the senate of the university, but it also accommodates national and international conferences, seminars and symposia. In front of the Senate House is Shabash Bangladesh, one of the largest war memorial sculptures in the nation; designed and constructed by Nitun Kundu. The name comes from a poem by Sukanta Bhattacharya of the same name, the last four lines of which is engraved under the structure. Golden Jubilee Tower, a 2003 addition to the university's array of sculptures, commemorates the university's 50th anniversary. Other well-known buildings include the library and the university mosque. The Department of Fine Arts hosts a sizeable collection of contemporary art, while Varendra Museum has a large collection of ancient and medieval art.
The university is run according to the Rajshahi University Act of 1973. The act, passed in 1973, allows the university considerably more autonomy than most other peer institutions. The president of Bangladesh is the de facto Chancellor of the university, but his role is mainly ceremonial. The highest official after the Chancellor is the Vice-Chancellor, selected by the senate of the university every four years. The Vice-Chancellor, as of 2012, is Prof Abdus Sobhan. Other important officers of the university include the Pro Vice Chancellor, the registrar, the controller of examinations and the proctor. The proctor is in direct charge of student activities and is the official with most direct contact with the students. The most important statutory bodies of the university are the senate, the academic council and the syndicate. As a public institution, most of Rajshahi University's funding comes from the government. The University Grants Commission (UGC) is the body responsible for allocating funds to all public universities.
Students are admitted after they pass the Higher Secondary Exam (HSC exam). Students partake in entrance examinations, a separate one for each department. This has been a contentious issue, as there used to be only one exam for each faculty, after which students would be allocated to departments according to their result and choice of program. As a public university, Rajshahi University's tuition fees are relatively low; nevertheless, a hike in admission fees, during the 2006–07 session, have drawn criticism from student bodies. As of 2007, the university awards a total of 340 scholarships, whose annual value is around 1.1 million taka. In addition, there are merit awards given by residential halls, departments and the university itself. Students are also eligible for the Prime Minister's Gold Medal award. All colleges of the northern and southern regions of the country used to be affiliated with Rajshahi University. However, the administration of colleges across the country was taken over by the National University when it was established in 1992.
The university's 53 departments are organized into 9 faculties: Engineering, Arts, Law, Science, Medicine, Business Studies, Social Sciences, Life and Earth Sciences, and Agriculture. The Arts and the Law faculties are the oldest in the university, both established in 1953, closely followed by the Faculty of Science (1956) and newly the Faculty of Engineering (2009). The university's departments represent the traditional studies in arts, commerce, sciences and engineering through programs in History, Languages and Linguistics, Economics, Business studies, Mathematics, Applied Mathematics (est.2002), Physics, Computer Science & Engineering, Chemistry, Statistics, Geology & Mining, Geography, Psychology, Zoology, Botany, etc. The university is increasingly emphasizing on more specialized programs such as Pharmacy, Biochemistry, Information and Communication Engineering (ICE)(est. 2000) or Genetics and breeding (est. 1996).
The Faculty of Engineering includes departments in Information and Communication Engineering (ICE)(est. 2000), Computer Science & Engineering, Applied Physics & Electronic Engineering, and Applied Chemistry & Chemical Engineering. In the late 1990 and 2000s, programs in computer engineering and communication engineering were introduced. The university used to have a separate engineering program through BIT (Bangladesh Institute of Technology) Rajshahi, which has become an independent university being renamed Rajshahi University of Engineering & Technology in 2002.
The Faculty of Arts includes departments in languages and linguistics (Bengali, English, Arabic), historical studies (history, Islamic history and culture), philosophy and fine arts. In the late 1990s, programs in theater, music and folklore studies were introduced. The Faculty of Social Science has programs in sociology, social work, anthropology, economics, political science and media-related studies.
The Faculty of Law consists only of the department of law.
The departments of finance and banking, management, marketing and accounting make up the Faculty of Business Studies. All facilities of these three faculties are located in the three arts buildings.
The four science buildings house the Faculty of Engineering, Science and the Faculty of Life and Earth Science. The former has programs in physics, applied physics & electronics, mathematics, statistics, computer science, chemistry, psychology, applied chemistry, material science, biochemistry, and information & communication engineering. Prominent departments in the faculty of Life and Earth Sciences include zoology, botany, geography, pharmacy, and genetics & breeding; these are all housed in the third science building. Department of geology & mining is situated in the second science building.
Founded in 2000, the Faculty of Agriculture is the newest addition to the university, and was formed when a local agricultural college was absorbed into the university. The Faculty has programs in fisheries, genetic engineering, agronomy and veterinary sciences.
Faculty of Medicine is organized differently from other disciplines. Medical education is provided by seven medical colleges located around the Rajshahi Division. Though these colleges are autonomous to a large extent, the degrees are conferred by Rajshahi University. Rajshahi Medical College is the oldest medical college under administration of the university and is located a few miles west of the university campus along with a highly equipped large hospital.
Undergraduates enroll for a four-year program through a highly competitive written admission test (on an average, 50 students compete for 1 seat). Students are assigned to a major when they enter the university, and cannot change it after the enrollment process. Most programs are organized by yearly semesters, though the business programs use two semesters a year, and others have been following suit. Classes can be quite large in departments like history or accounting, due to a high student-to-teacher ratio (1:27).
Most departments offer masters programs that are one or two years in duration, and are of two types- Masters with thesis, and Masters by coursework. Research in the university is conducted in specialised institutes as well as individual departments, with offering of Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctoral (PhD) programs. As in other universities across the country, research plays second fiddle to education. The university has a research program related to the arsenic problem in Bangladesh. The Institute of Bangladesh Studies is a noted research institute that publishes the Journal of IBS. The Journal provides the Institute faculty as well as fellow academicians elsewhere an opportunity to publish research and review articles in English. The university is also home to Centre for Social Science Research (CSSR), an independent organisation conducting empirical and qualitative research in many fields. Much research work also centres around Varendra Research Museum.
The university is home to five institutions. The oldest, established in 1974, is the Institute of Bangladesh Studies (IBS). Housed in the eastern end of the main campus, IBS was established by the Parliament of Bangladesh for research in Bangladesh-related topics. The institute conducts research and education at the postgraduate level, and has awarded 153 PhD degrees and 71 MPhil degrees in the humanities, social sciences and non-experimental sciences to date. The Institute of Biological Sciences (established in 1989) is another research institute focused on genetics and biological sciences, and was established through collaboration with the National Planning Commission. Three newer institutes have been established since: the Institute of Business Administration, the Institute of Environmental Sciences and the Institute of Education and Research. As of 2006, the establishment of two more institutes, an Institute of English Language and a post-graduate Institute of Information Technology was under way. The latter was established during a drive by the Bangladesh government to promote education in Information Technology (IT), when it provided Rajshahi University and 4 other major universities 3 crore taka each towards establishment of an IT institute.
The central library was established in 1955. Initially located at Bara Kuthi it was later shifted to its present location in the centre of the university campus. This modern library has a collection of 300,000 books and 2,000 journal titles besides huge range of digital subscriptions. Students are found studying both in the reading rooms of the library and on the spacious corridors encircling the library on the ground floor. In addition to the central library, there are seminar libraries in all institutes, departments and residential halls. Rajshahi University Press publishes scholarly books on many topics, and Rajshahi University Studies Journals for various disciplines mostly written by the members of the university teaching staff.
The university has sixteen residential halls for students, five for women and eleven for men. The residential halls are named after prominent Bangladeshi historical and cultural figures, some of them from Rajshahi. The largest men's hall is Shahid Habibur Rahman Hall, named after a mathematics professor killed on campus during the 1971 war by the Pakistani Army. The largest women's hall is Monnujan Hall, followed by Begum Rokeya Hall, named after Rokeya Sakhawat Hussain, a leading figure in women's rights activism in Bengal. The housing system can accommodate 8,000 students, which has created a deepening accommodation crisis as the student body has risen to 25,000. Apart from the seat limitations, the amenities of these halls do not always meet decent accommodation standards. This has led to the establishment of many privately owned off-campus "messes". The residential halls provide meals, which are subsidised by the university authorities.
The physical education department of the university has 27 instructors and is equipped with a 25,000-seat stadium, 2 gymnasiums, 1 swimming pool, 4 football grounds, 1 hockey ground, 4 tennis courts, 2 basketball courts and a squash court. The Teacher Students Centre was designed to be the centre of cultural activities of the university. Reception of fresh students, celebration of national holidays as well as the annual cultural competition are key cultural events at the university campus. The university is home to recitation groups like Shwanan, and drama groups like Anushilon and Rajshahi University Drama Association (RUDA). A vibrant fine arts scene thrives around the Department of Fine arts, and the campus hosts a number of exhibitions each year. The university has branches of all major national cultural groups, including Udichi and Gono Natto Shongstha.
During the three major national days, Language Movement Day (February 21), Independence Day (March 26) and Victory Day (December 16), the university hosts public meetings, cultural programs and political activities. On these days, students and teachers, going barefoot, congregate around the Shaheed Minar and pay their respect. During the major Muslim religious occasions of Eid, the university is usually deserted as students go home to be with their families. Other religiously important days like Shabe-barat are observed through discussions and religious activities. The major Hindu festival celebrated in the university is Saraswati Puja—Saraswati, the goddess of knowledge, is worshiped in a central location as well as individually in many residential halls. The Bengali new year, Pohela Baisakh is also observed with much pomp.
The alumni of the university work at all levels of public and private sectors of the country. The academic staff of the university include some of the eminent scholars of the country. The faculty of the university at one point or other included the following academics: linguist Muhammad Shahidullah, linguist Muhammad Enamul Haque, the renowned literary writer Hasan Azizul Huq, author and scholar Ghulam Murshid, English Professor Zillur Rahman Siddique and eminent Political Scientist Talukdar Muniruzzaman. The alumni of the university include some national political figures,such as Habibur Rahman,who was also the former Chief Justice and head of the caretaker government in 1996 and Abul Hasanat Md. Kamruzzaman, one of the top leaders of Bangladesh's freedom struggle; notable artists and journalists such as singer Andrew Kishore, writer Selina Hossain, journalist Abdul Matin, Hamiduzzzaman, Managing Editor of the National News Agency, BSS.
Rajshahi University Old Boys Association is the platform of former students of the university. Presently Mohini Mohan Chakravarti and Advocate Subrata Chowdhury are the Acting President and General Secretary of the organization.
During the 1980s, the four-year honors course took as long as eight years due to the session backlogs, resulting mainly from conflicts between factions of political groups. Since early 1990s, student politics has been comparatively calmer, with student body elections not being held for more than a decade. The student groups have been demanding elections whereas others feel student politics should be banned.
In late 2004 and early 2005, two professors of Rajshahi University got assassinated within three months: professor Yunus from the economics department in December 2004 and professor Taher from the geology and mining department in February 2005. Both murders were suspected to be driven by political motivations. A controversy over the hiring of over 500 new employees broke around the same time; detractors suggested that they were hired illegally, either in return for money or because of political reasons. Since the new millennium, much attention has been focused on politics among university teaching staff. Observers have claimed that the teaching staff have been thoroughly polarised according to party lines in national politics. In 2005, a professor of the university was arrested for links with the Ahle Hadith Andolon Bangladesh.
In August 2007, six detained professors of the university were temporarily suspended for their involvement in organizing protests for restoring that violated Emergency Power Rules, though they were discharged later from allegations and returned to the university with proper honour.
Varendra Museum (Bengali: বরেন্দ্র জাদুঘর) is a museum, research center and popular visitor attraction located at the heart of Rajshahi town and maintained by Rajshahi University in Bangladesh.
Varendra Museum was the first museum to be established in erstwhile East Bengal in 1910. The museum started out as the collection for Varendra Anushandhan Samiti or Varendra Investigation Society and got its current name in 1919. The Rajahs of Rajshahi and Natore, notably Prince Sharat Kumar Ray, donated their personal collections to Varendra Museum. Varendra refers to an ancient janapada roughly corresponding to modern northern Bangladesh.Excavation at Sompur Bihara was started by the society along with Calcutta University in 1923. In 1964, the museum became a part of Rajshahi University.
- Gallery One has collections from the Indus Valley Civilization, and some of its 265 items from Sompur. It also contains old Sanskrit, Arabic and Persian scripts.
- Gallery Two has Buddhist and Hindu stone sculptures and modern wood sculptures.
- Gallery Three and Gallery Four display stone sculptures of Hindu gods and goddesses.
- Gallery Five offers mostly Buddhist sculpture.
- Gallery Six shows Arabic. Persian, Sanskrit and old Bengali stone inscriptions and sculptured stones of the Muslim period.
- A recent gallery has been added displaying the indigenous and tribal culture of Rajshahi region.