Rangpur (Bengali: রংপুর) (Urdu and Punjabi: رنگ پور) is one of the major cities in Bangladesh.Rangpur was one of the oldest Municipality in Bangladesh, which was established in the year 1869. Rangpur declared as a District headquarter as on 16 December 1769. The municipal office building was erected in the year of 1892 under the precedence Raja Janaki Ballav Sen. Chairman of the municipality to whom Rangpur is indebted for many works of public utility and for his assiduous efforts to advance the improvement of the town. During that period in 1890, "Shyama sundari khal" was excavated for improvement of the town. The Municipality is located in the north western part of Bangladesh and considered as the centre of northwestern Bangladesh. Recently established public university of Bangladesh named as "Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur" is situated in the southern part of the city. Earlier Rangpur was the headquarter of Greater Rangpur district. Later the Greater Rangpur district was broken down into Rangpur, Kurigram, Nilphamari, Lalmonirhat and Gaibandha districts. As a hub of trade, business and non-governmental organisational activities its influence over the districts under Greater-Dinajpur is also considerable.
|A Masjid in Ranpur|
Rangpur was conquered by the army of Raja Man Singh, a commander of the Mughal emperor, Akbar, in 1575, but it was only until 1686 that it was fully integrated into the Mughal Empire. Names of places like Mughalbasa (literal meaning being a locality of the Mughals), and Mughalhat (literal meaning a “local market” organized by the Mughals) bear testimony to the Mughal Association and past of Rangpur and its hinterland. Later on, Rangpur passed under the control of “Sarker” of Ghoraghat. During the period of the British East India Company, the Sannyasi Rebellion took place. Rangapur Ghoraghat has been mentioned in the Riyaz-us-Salatin. During the early period of the company rule fakir-sannyasi resistance and peasant rebellion were held in Rangpur.
Total population of Rangpur is 2534365, male 50.92%, female 49.08%. Islam is the predominant religion in Rangpur. Hinduism is the second largest religion in Rangpur. Muslim 89.60%, Hindu 9.59%, Christian 0.50% and others 0.31%; ethnic nationals: Santal and Orao. Among the Muslims the percentage of the salafi are a bit higher than most districts of Bangladesh.
|Rangpur's Map in Its Location in Bangladesh|
Rangpur is one of seven divisions and is composed of eight districts of the northern Bangladesh. The District of Rangpur is bordered on the north by Nilphamari District, on the south by Gaibandha District, on the east by Kurigram, and on the west by Dinajpur district. Rangpur town is the divisional headquarter. The soil composition is mainly alluvial soil (80%) of the Teesta River basin, and the remaining is barind soil. The temperature ranges from 32 degrees Celsius to 11 degrees Celsius, and the annual rainfall averages 2931 mm.
Rangpur has a tropical wet and dry climate. The climate of Rangpur is generally marked with monsoons, high temperature, considerable humidity and heavy rainfall. The hot season commences early in April and continues till July. The maximum mean temperature observed is about 32 to 36 °C (90 to 97 °F) during the months of May, June July and August and the minimum temperature recorded in January is about 7 to 16 °C (45 to 61 °F). The highest rainfall is observed during the months of monsoon. The annual rainfall in the district is about 1,448 millimetres (57.0 in).
|Jahaj Company Shopping Complex, Rangpur|
For shopping, there are two large shopping complexes. One is the older "Municipal Super Market". There is a more modern building called the Jahaj Company Shopping Complex which has Rangpur's only escalator. At the top of this building is a department store.
Karupanya has another store on Station Road which sells Rangpur's Satranji handloom carpets. The carpets were made in the village of Nishbetganj and were popular in the Mughal era. Karupanya established the cottage industry of Satranji at Nishbetganj village. Starting with just five weavers, he has increased to more than 300 weavers today and is now exporting to foreign countries on a small scale.
|A Green Paddy Field in Rangpur, Bangladesh|
From the ancient times Rangpur is a land of agriculture. Several agricultural products are the major driving power of the economy of this district such as rice, jute (called the golden fiber of Bangladesh), wheat, tobacco, potato etc. During winter season, when ground water level is usually lower than rainy season, peoples use irrigation system to cultivate several high yielding varies of rice to keep the economy strong of this district. Several cold storage are also adding value to the economy of this district by preserving agricultural products especially potato during the hot summer season.
The city is the commercial hub for the surrounding districts. The city centre has number of government and private banks, insurance companies, residential hotels, Chinese and Indian restaurants, fast food, sweet shops, gift shop and many more. It is one of most important economic zone in Bangladesh, because of its global positioning.
|Tajhat Palace in Rangpur, Bangladesh|
Places of Interest:
Tajhat Palace is located at Tajhat, the southern end of Rangpur city. It was the earlier high court building established in 1984 called the Tajhat, a former zamindar's palace. After the end of the British Raj, the building was abandoned and decayed rapidly, although it was used for a few years as a courthouse during the 1980s. In 2004, it was largely restored and turned into a museum which hosts a collection of Blackstone Hindu carvings, calligraphic art from the Mughal period and other objects d'art and coins from the area on display. Due to lack of funding, the museum is sometimes closed.There were a fairly large number of eminent Zamindar families at Tajhat.Dimla, Kankina, Manthana, Pirganj, Bardhankot, ete in the district of Rangpur. They had magnificent and beautiful palaces of which the Tajhat Palace is most famous. Manna lal ray the founder of the family was Hindu khatri and an adherent of the sikh which at that time, was obliged to emigrate from the Punjab and settled at Mahiganj, Profession it is believed that from the conspicuous appearance of his Taj or jeweled crown his estate derived the name of Tajhat manna lal ray, gradually be quire huge ladled properties in Rangpur his grandson Dhanapat ray.
|Another View of Tajhat Palace, Rangpur|
A grand Daughter of ratanlal ray of nya dumka, who was another Punjabi in-migrant. Dhanapat ray’s Grandson Upendra lel ray died at an early age and the estate there fore came into the possession of his uncle Giridharlal ray who was a Munsift Giridhari lal having no issue adopted Govinda Lal of Kolkata who success Ed to the Estate in 1879. He was a man of great public spirit and Liberality because of which he was conferred with the title of Raja in 1835, Raja Bahadur in 1892 and Maharaja in 1896 he metro largest death by being buried alive under the debris of his own during the devastating earthquake of 1897.He was succeeded by his son Maharaja kumar Gopal lal ray in 1908. The place is situated hree k. m. on the south –east Outskirts of the town of Rangpur. This Magnificent edifice with about 76.20 m front age. Rises in tow Stores and faces east . a 15.24m. Imposing broad staircase in the centre. Paved with imported white marble. Leads directly above the portico to the upper storey.
|Tajhat Jamidarbari in Rangpur|
The palace is crowned by a ribbed conical dome in the centre of the roof with a tall octagonal neck. Partly supported on a series of slender semi-Corinthian columns. The balustrade on either said of the imposing staircase was originally embellished with various sculptures of classical Roman figures in Italian marble. But now these are totally missing. There are two semi octagonal projections at each end of the front faced and a 9-144m. Projecting central porch. The alcony roof above the porch is carried on four graceful Corinthian columns with round shafts. Whilst two similar columns on each of the projecting ends of the building . Support a triangular gable. The palace is laid out in the from of an English “U” With its open end to the west. Beyond the entrance at ground floor level. This is a very large hall measuring about 18.288m *13.716m. A 3m wide corridor runs the entire length of inner block. Two broad wooden staircases. One is on the middle of the north wing and other is one the south of eastern main block provides access to the upper floor. Probably this place was built by Maha Raja Kumar Gopal lal Ray in the beginning of the 20th century AD from 1984 to 1991. the palace was used as a Rangpur high Court branch of the Bangladesh Supreme court in 1995. The palace was declared as a Protected monument by the department of archeology. recognizing its outstanding archeological value the government of Bangladesh decided to shift the Rangpur museum here in 2002. Accordingly the palace in being partly used as Rangpur museum since 2005.
|Rangpur Town Hall|
There is an ancient auditorium named 'Town Hall' at the center of the city, where different cultural programs are held.
It is a very well known place in Rangpur district under the Badargonj police station. It is very popular for Shyampur Sugar Mills Limited. Here is a chemical industry as well as few cold storage.
In the great Rangpur region, no economic development took place until the 90s, mainly because of the yearly flooding the region used to see before the making of "Teesta Barrage." The coal is found near this district. There is a large military cantonment in the town.
"Bhinno Jogot" is a big theme park and a popular picnic spot which is situated 15 kilometres from Rangpur Town.
Rangpur central zoo is one of the main attractions of Rangpur city. Rangpur zoo is located east side of Hunuman-tola road beside police-line not far from Rangpur district Administration office. In this zoo there has lots of Bangladeshi wild animel. Without it African lion, Black Panther, Hippopotamus, different kinds of birds, snack & some rare animal & birds. Founder of Rangpur zoo President Ershad, was responsible for lots of additions to Rangpur. They donated land for a zoo with a massive park in the midst of town.The Rangpur zoo was built in 80th Decade in 19th century.A wide area with lush green trees and grasses also houses different animal species. The zoo has a variety of animals, mostly in small British-era style cages. The zoo does have a large aviary, a small monkey cage and an endangeredBengal tiger, in addition to a rhinoceros, lions, a leopard, peacocks, alligators, turtles, spotted deer, and many other animals.
|Keramotia Masjid in Rangpur|
A museum and women's training centre was established in Pairabondh, the birthplace of Begum Rokeya. It is half an hour drive away from Rangpur city.
Keramotia Mosque (Masjid):
It is located behind the Rangpur court. Muslim saint Hajrot Maulana Keramot Ali Jaunapuri (Rh) was the 35 generation of Hajrot Abu Bakkar (Ra) 1st Khalifah (ruler) of Islam. Maulana Jaunapuri (Rh) born in 1225 Hijri at Mulatol colony in Jaunapuri of MadhoProdesh, India. At his Mature age they came to Rangpur for spread Islam. For his wisdom, persona and simple life planning lots of people took Islam as their religion. After his death in 30 may in 1873 beside his tomb the karamotia Mosque was built. rectangular sized this domes mosque Constructed according to the Mughal architecture and local beautiful craft. Its internal size is 42'-0"*13'-0". the Width of the east-west wall of the Mosque is 3'-3" north-south wall is 2'-10". the high of the masjid is 18'-0" from the ground. The domes was built over octogonal drum size platform. in the lower part of the domes there is Marlon designs.
|Mithapukur Masjid in Rangpur|
Mithapukura Mosque (Masjid):
From Mithapukor pond about half km distance in the side of Rangpur-Mithapukur road it is situated.The masjid is oblong size and it has three domes.its volume is about 10.66m*4.11m. in-front of this masjid beside the surrounded yard there is a entrance door which is made by Bangladeshi local culture. There are also 4 corner tower which is higher than the corner of the roof and finished as a size of kiupola. by dividing the oblongate mosque in three parts with 2 literal vault here it is 3 made semi round domes. 3 mirhab,the in-front wall, para-pate wall,and the drums of the domes all r designed with beautiful panel,spinach,flower, geometrical sizes and as hoods of snake.from the inscription of the wall it is known that the masjid was made by sheikh mohammad asher son of Sheikh Mohammad saber in 1226 hijri (1801).
|Pirgacha Landlord House, in Rangpur|
Kellaband Mosque (Masjid):
Kellaband Mosque is situated at C.O. Bazar on the north of Rangpur-Dinajpur Highway 02 km north-west of Rangpur town. This three-dome mosque is about 200 years elderly. A concrete well & an ancient cemetery are lying beside the mosque.
Pirgacha Landlord House:
After the death of landlord Rajendro naraon the "Monthona" Estate divided into two part among his two son's Harendra narayan and Bhyrab Narayan. As a result the landlord house also divided into two part. After the death of Harendra Narayan when his son Mohendra narayan died as Childless then his adopted son Mohendra Narayan was landlord of the state. After his death Bhupendra Narayan was the last landlord of this estate. kachari house of ruined Landlord house is now used as Pirgasha registrar office.
|Pond of Devi Caudhuranir Jamindar Bari|
Devi Caudhuranir Jamindar Bari:
The lanlord of pirgacha sub district norendro narayan son of raghabendra narayan died in 1765 without any legacy. Then the wife of the died landowner Joydurga manage the landlord for three decades. This Joydurga is popularly known as Devi Chowdhurani in history.in the time of Sonnasi Bidroho (Sannasi revolution) she keep peace with Vobani Pathok and war against English. In this insurgency collector Richard Gudland and army commander lieutenantbrenan got feared and forfeit the landlord of Devi Chowdhurani. This time Devi Chowdhurany Levant her self for some days. After that time she again came to manage the landlord and she manage it for 1791. Now all of the building of it damaged . Only the pond is also now there.
|Itakumari Jamindar Bari, Rangpur|
Itakumari Jamindar Bari:
Itakumari Landlord house was established in 19th century. Shibchondro elder son of landlord Rajarai was the founder of Itakhula Landlord house. Now most of the building are ruined . Now a well two large pond and elderly building witness of time. point to be noted that leaders of the public rebellion Devi singha and his assistant Harram sen one time on a time get the owner by forcing. Again Shibchanda and Devi Chowdhurani lead the public rebellion and free the people of Rangpur from Devi singha's torture.
Deowan Bari Jamindaar Bari:
The founder of Deowan Bari Jamindaar Bari was Fonivuson Mojumdar. Fonivuson Mijumdar Father name was Landlord Radharomon and mother's name as Kusum Kumari Devi who was the second wife of Radharomon. He as born in 1892. This landlord house is a small 2 stores Building. but The main gate of the house is look like as a Mughal Castle - gate. After banned the Real estate practices in 1952 The house was auctioned. Now there have a school and some business center.It is located at Deowan Bari road in Rangpur.
RDRS (Rangpur and Dinajpur Rural Service) Bangladesh, an NGO in northwest Bangladesh, has a large office and guesthouse/convention center in the town of Rangpur.
Pirgachha is one of the up zillas in Rangpur that carries some interesting aspects. The name is derived from some unknown "pir"(religious guru), buried under a tree("gach"). In other words, there was this tomb of a "pir" under a big tree in Pirgachha. Pirgachha has a Rajbari, home of the Jomider (barons, if you will, or landlord, appointed by the King at that times). This one historic residence is now almost ruined. Also, there is a minitarure prayer place such as a mosque (for Muslim) and a mondir(for Hindu) built together. It shows a friendly Hindu-Muslim community at those ages.
|Begum Rokeya University, Rangpur|
Near the stadium, there is a very beautiful place called 'Chicli vata' surrounding big many lakes and rice fields.
There is a large military cantonment in the town. Apart from the Tajbari museum there is another museum at the heart of the town. The town is known as Green town for its beautiful garden and green park throughout the town.
Begum Rokeya University is the only university in Rangpur district. The Rangpur Medical College, situated in Ranpur is one of the major government medical colleges in Bangladesh. Carmichael College, established in 1916 by some leading zamindars, is a postgraduate college offering courses in 14 subjects in the faculties of arts, social science, science and commerce. The most renowned educational institution in this region is Rangpur Cadet College.
|Rangpur Cadet College|
Other renowned schools include Cantonment Public School & College, Rangpur (CPSCR), Rangpur Technical School and College and Rangpur Zilla School. Zilla School is established in 1832, this higher secondary school is known for the quality of education it offers. Other prominent educational institutions include Rangpur Govt. College, Begum Rokeya College and Govt. Commercial Institute. Besides there is one polytechnic institute, one vocational institute, around 282 high schools, 722 government primary schools, 38 junior high schools, 193 NGO (Non Government Organization) operated schools and almost 370 Madrasahs in Rangpur.
Major educational institutes in the city include:
- Begum Rokeya College
- Carmichael College
- Colectorate School and College
- Carmichael Collegiate School and College
- Police Lines School and College
- Rangpur Cadet College
|Rangpur Zilla School|
- Rangpur Cantonment Public College
- Rangpur Government College
- Rangpur Medical College
- Rangpur Polytechnic Institute
- Rangpur University
- Rangpur Zilla School
- Begum Rokeya University
- Govt. Commercial Institute
- Robertson Gonj Girls High School & College
Hospitals in the city include Rangpur Medical College Hospital (RMCH), a tertiary level public hospital with teaching facility in graduate and post graduate medical education.The campus of Rangpur Medical College is located in the northwest area of Rangpur, Bangladesh. It is 210 kilometres from the Rajshahi District and 330 kilometres from Dhaka and is located next to the inter-country highway that connects India to Nepal. Other government institutes include a children hospital, a chest hospital and an infectious disease hospital. Private institutes include a Christian missionary hospital.
|Rangpur Medical College|
Bangladesh Betar (Radio Bangladesh) has a regional station in Rangpur which transmits various programs of mass interest. Rangpur station has a broadcasting house and transmitters in different locations. The Rangpur station transmits its programs in Medium Wavelength. The popularity of the radio is low in Rangpur like other places of Bangladesh because of the low quality programmes of Bangladesh Betar.
Bangladesh Television commonly known as BTV, is the national television channel of Bangladesh.Bangladesh Television (BTV) has satellite station in Rangpur.
There are a number of locally published newspapers in the district. Locally published newspapers and periodicals include Dabanal (1980), Rangaprovat (1987), Juger Alo (1992), Dainik Paribesh (1994),Daily Gonoalo(2012) Dainik Rangpur (1997), Weekly Atal (1991), Rangpur Barta (1996) and Weekly Bajrakantha (Pirganj). Former newspapers which are no longer published include Rangapur Bartabaha (1847), Rangapur Dik Prakash (1861), Rangapur Darpan (1907), Uttar Bangla (1960) and Pravati (1955).
|Bus Terminal in Rangpur|
The main transport systems used in the city are Cycle rickshaws, auto rickshaws (mainly known as baby-taxis or CNGs), buses, mini-buses and cars. There are about 50,000 rickshaws running each day.
Rangpur is well connected by highways and railway links to Chittagong and Dhaka, as well as other parts of Rangpur.It takes about 6 to 7 hours by road to reach the capital, Dhaka from Rangpur. A number of bus services including air-conditioned and non-air conditioned buses are available from and to Dhaka. Bus services to other major districts are also available from Rangpur. Highway links to India have been established through the Asian highway. Many Bus company connect Rangpur to other districts.
The Rangpur Railway Station is the main railway station providing trains on national routes operated by the state-run Bangladesh Railway.
The city of Rangpur is served by Saidpur Airport, located at the north of the city. Saidpur airport is not an international airport.The main frequent airlines of the airport are, Biman Bangladesh Airlines, United Airways (BD) Ltd. Active routes are Saidpur-Dhaka and Saidpur-Rajshahi.
Rangpur is one of the important place of cricket in Bangladesh.The most popular Sport in Rangpur is cricket, football is also popular. There is a 10000+ capacity stadium in the city. The stadium is known as Cricket Garden is mainly used for cricket and football but other sports also get their share to stage a show there occasionally.
|Hussain Muhammad Ershad|
There are also few sports training academy in the city. In domestic Twenty20 cricket, Rangpur has a Bangladesh Premier League franchise known as Rangpur Riders. Notable players from Rangpur who have played for the national team include Nasir Hossain, Suhrawadi Shuvo.
- William Beveridge, British economist who wrote the Beveridge Report that influenced United Kingdom to implement welfare state policies after World War II
- Begum Rokeya Shakhawat Hossain who was most famous for her efforts on behalf of gender equality and other social issues.
- Hussain Muhammad Ershad, former President of Bangladesh
- Anisul Hoque, author, novelist, dramatist, and journalist
- M. A. Wazed Miah reputed Bangladeshi nuclear scientist who was former Chairman of the Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission and husband of Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.
- Nasir Hossain, prominent Bangladeshi all-round cricketer.
A rare total eclipse of the Sun was expected to be visible from the extreme north of the Rangpur district on July 22, 2009. This attracted much attention from the Bangladeshi astronomical community in the run up to the event.