Ordubad (also, Ordoubat and Ordubat) (Urdu and Persian: اردوباد) (Punjabi: اوردوباد), (from Ordu-abad, meaning "barracks town" in Persian, is the second largest town and a municipality of the Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic of Azerbaijan. It is the capital of the Ordubad rayon. It has a population of 10,372.
The closest railway station is Ordubad and distance to Nakhchivan city is 88 km. Ordubad in its current capacity of a town was founded in the 18th century. The town is divided into five districts:
- Sar sheher
|A Street in Ardubad, Azerbaijan|
Ordubad was once an important regional stop on the Silk Road trade route. It thus contains unique architecture situated on both sides of the Ordubadchay River.
World Heritage Status:
This site was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List on October 24, 2001 in the Cultural category.
- Ismail Ibrahimov — scientist, Hero of Socialist Labor.
- Mammed Said Ordubadi — writer.
- Najafgulu Rafiyev — Hero of the Soviet Union.
- Novruz Rizayev — People's Commissar of Internal Affairs of Azerbaijan SSR (1927–1929).
- Victor Cherokov — Soviet military commander, Vice Admiral.
- Yusif Mamedaliyev — chemist, founder of petrochemical science in Azerbaijan.